POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Making clothers in Poser - Take 7 (WIP) : Making clothers in Poser - Take 7 (WIP) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:16:38 EDT (-0400)
  Making clothers in Poser - Take 7 (WIP)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 7 Jul 2007 08:26:54
Message: <468f868e@news.povray.org>
Meet the Rais Abdul ibn Abdullah. He is a character in my Iskander Series.
Rich, powerful, cruel.

As a basis, I took Apollo Maximus which, as it turned out, generated a
number of challenges to me as well as to Poseray. Not all resolved, but I am
working on them. Apollo Maximus is a terrific - free - character for Poser 6
and up, and Daz|Studio, at
http://www.antonkisieldesigns.com/~akfiles/htmlpages/ApolloMaximusFree3dhumanfigure.htm.

One drawback however is that the shaders provided are so complex that they
do not translate well through Poseray, so you have to be creative.

The clothing, made in Silo 2.0, are almost finished. The boots come with
Apollo Maximus however.
For the turban, I used a path extrusion object rotating 360 degrees, then
was much helped with the displacement brush provided by Silo.
Shalwar (trousers) and Pirihan (shirt) are based on patterns found here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Rashid/. On the way I learned that it is
much easier to model clothes using boxes than using cylinders or truncated
cones. In particular the Pirihan is modelled entirely from boxes.

Still missing here are a sash and a Caftan. Those will come next. The sash
in particular will be modelled similarly to the turban.

For the textures, I thought it would be interesting to simulate Damask
cloth. I googled a number of patterns and made additional specular maps from
them. The result should be that the design is slightly highlighted by the
specular finish. It is rather subtle though. I used the technique for all
three the clothings.

The Shalwar is tucked into the boots through simulation in Poser. This is
not working entirely correctly, some pieces still sticking through the
boots. I corrected that using the Morphing Tool that comes with Poser 7.
Wonderful! I still need some training there, but it helps immensely to
correct simulation errors. While this works fine for stills, I believe this
would not be so useful for animations though...

OK. I am shutting up. I have still some sewing to do. So if you'll forgive
me...  <shuffles back to the table>

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'Poser_figuretest_12.jpg' (57 KB)

Preview of image 'Poser_figuretest_12.jpg'
Poser_figuretest_12.jpg